Monday, June 30, 2008

Western States Cancelled!

Virginia, Nancy (mother in law), Steve (pacer) and I arrived in Squaw Valley on Wednesday afternoon before the race. I had the girls drop us off at the race site so Steve and I could take in the 1st timers race meeting while they checked into the condo. We got there about 5 minutes late and I noticed that everyone was in a terrible state of mind. The woman giving the talk was crying and it took a second to sink in that she was saying that the race may be cancelled. The final decision was made at 8pm that night. The race board had decided to cancel the 2008 race. I was stunned. It took awhile to sink in and even though I am back in Dallas now, it still may take awhile to fully take hold.

The race was cancelled due to the large amount of forest fires in the area. This is a 100 mile - point to point race and there were at least three fires very close to the trail. The logistics of holding this race are already insane. Having forest fires in the area made it impossible. The smoke was thick in most of Northern California and they just could not take the chance to hold the race. It was a smart decision, but it did not make it any less painful to me and the other runners. I had my first beer in over a month that night.

My training partner, Matt and his wife had already prepaid for their condo so they came out to Squaw Valley as well. We decided we'd just make it a running and hiking vacation and we'd just go to trails where the smoke wasn't as bad.

So I ended up getting in some incredible training runs and hikes. We ran on the Pacific Crest Trail one day which was amazing. Virginia and I hiked up to Emigrant Pass one day which was the highlight of the trip for me. I have an amazing wife and doing things like that are incredibly special. We hiked up to the top of Mount Rose another day - the highest peak in Nevada. And then Matt and I topped it off this morning with another hike up to Emigrant Pass and then a screaming fast run down the mountain. All in all it was a great vacation.

Now I have to figure out my next race. The WS Race Committee was kind enough to give us all automatic entries into the 2009 race, but I need to do a 100 mile race before then. So I have a little thinking and planning ahead of me. I'll figure it out. Onward!

No comments: