Sunday, June 8, 2008

Heat

I learned a huge lesson yesterday. Heat does not agree with me. I've known for a long time that I do not perform well in hot weather. But man, my run yesterday really kicked me in the butt. Here is how my last long run before tapering went down...

I started the day with 9 miles at Norbuck Park. I then had breakfast with my family and then picked up Matt for 5 hours at Cedar Hill Preserve. We started our run at 10am and finished at 3pm. I was doing great for about 3 1/2 hours -- then it all fell apart for me. And I mean really fell apart. I have never felt so bad while running. I know now that I had a case of heat exhaustion.

I was starting to slow down at this point in the run, so Matt and I decided that we would do a loop by ourselves. About 30 minutes after we separated, the wheels started to come off. I could not run the flats anymore -- I could only run the downhills. And the uphills were becoming a bear. I kept pounding water, but I knew something was wrong. It took me 15 minutes to do a climb that I can normally do in 2 minutes. I had to sit down and rest many times. My heart rate was elevated and I could not slow down my breathing. I was not running at all anymore -- in fact, I was barely walking. I finally got up the hill and made my way the final 2 miles to the car.

I sat gasping at the car, but knew that I needed to complete the run. I was hoping this was just a really low spot and I'd come out of it. I was not thinking very clearly at this point. I doused myself with water, put ice in my cap and bottles, tied a cold bandanna around my neck, and started out for another loop. I was able to run for about 50 yards before I was reduced to a staggering walk. I had to sit and rest at the slightest uphills. Something was definitely wrong with me. And that's when the nausea started. I've seen other people that have stomach issues while running ultras. Well, it was time for me to experience this side of ultraunning.

I felt like I'd had 15 beers the night before. My head started to hurt, I could not keep my breathing in check, I could barely walk, and now I was vomiting. I turned around to head back to the car. I was only about a 1/2 mile out on the trail, so I made it back in a reasonable time. I laid down on a picnic table and tried to get myself together. Somebody walked by and asked me if I was OK. I just grunted "I'm fine." Then I noticed a water hose not too far away. I walked over and hosed myself off. That really helped. My breathing was finally in check, but I couldn't stop the nausea. At this point, Matt had finished his loop and saw me. He's first reaction was, "Dude, what happened to you?" I filled him in and he made me hose off again and drink a ton of water and take some salt.

Eventually I got myself together enough to get in the car and head home. Matt drove home while I continued with my nausea -- really fun stuff! I jumped into his pool and drank some really cold Gatorade (thank you, Julie!) and finally started to feel better. And eventually I was able to drive myself home.

Looking back on it, I really can't believe I fell apart so quickly. It was about 2 in the afternoon when things went poorly. The sun had come out in full force and it was hot and humid but it wasn't 100 degrees or anything. I think I started the run a little too fast, sweat too much, and my body could not keep up with it. At least it happened to me now, so I can learn from it. During the race, I plan on staying as cool as possible. Ice in every water bottle, ice in my hat, ice in my bandanna. I'll douse myself with cold water at every aid station - stop at every river and stream crossing and throw water on myself and head.

Heat exhaustion is no joke. It's a day later and I still don't feel right. It was really the strangest feeling while it was happening. I've never felt anything like it. I could not stop my elevated heart rate/breathing, my ears felt clogged up, my voice changed, I was staggering, and the puking of course. And I believe I had a pretty mild case of it. Consider this a lesson learned. It's going to be very, very hot in the canyons of WS. I will do everything I can to stay cool before, during, and after that section of the race.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Mike! Be sure to stay as hydrated as possible for the big race!