Saturday, January 19, 2008

It May Be Time for a New Goal

I just got back from a 9 mile run around the lake. After 4 miles, the area on the outside of my knee started to get numb. I could feel the pain come creeping back. I took some walk breaks which helped a bit and I was able to finish the run. But something is still not right with my IT Band. This is absolutely driving me crazy!

It's such a strange feeling. My right knee just does not feel like my left knee. I can even feel it a bit while I am not running which is not a good sign at all.

I had a long talk with one of my ultrarunning buddies yesterday who knows of my condition and is also running the Rocky Raccoon. His first question to me was why are you running Rocky? I told him because it was my goal race and because I am raising money for the Dream Fund. He has been through serious IT Band issues before - during one period he could not run for an entire year. And he is a competitive runner -- way more talented than I am -- not running for a year absolutely killed him! So he knows a ton about my condition. We are both signed up for the Western States 100 in June which is the Superbowl of 100 mile races. His point to me (and I've thought about it a lot as well) is if I try and gut it through the Rocky 100, that I may hurt myself much more and not be able to rehab in time for the Western States race.

We talked about race strategies if I do decide and gut out the Rocky. Run 5 minutes, walk 5 minutes is what we decided on. But I really don't want to do the race this way. I don't want to just get through it. I want to run it and I want to run it well.

I tried unsuccessfully to take an ice bath after the run this morning. You should try that sometime. It is brutal, but it really helps your leg muscles recover faster. I was just too cold already (28 degrees outside this morning!) and the cold water just about sent me into cardiac arrest!

I had a long talk with Virginia who thinks I am an idiot for even considering the Rocky in my condition. And she's a runner who has a marathon and several halfs under her belt.

I was so hoping to finish the run this morning with no pain and a ton of confidence that I am finally healed and ready for Rocky. I am so disappointed to say the least. I've never quit anything in my life. But this is not a marathon; this is 100 miles. And you can not go into a 100 hurt. It just does not make sense. I think I am finally coming around to that.

No comments: