Thursday, January 17, 2008

How I Got Started

I started running about 5 years ago. My wife signed up for the Tom Landry Sprint Triathlon (1/4 mile swim; 18 mile bike; 5K) and I decided to join in the fun. I had not run in years so I had to work up to the 5K distance. I remember doing laps on the roof of the downtown YMCA and wondering if I could ever run 3 miles! Race day finally came and the race was brutal for me. I could barely do the swim, everyone passed me on the bike, and the run was awful. But a seed was planted in me that day. It took awhile to grow, but eventually it turned into a complete life changing experience for me.

Huy Pham, my workout partner and good friend, and I had just quit the YMCA because we were not using the facility as much as we should. One day we discovered the Katy Trail which is very close to where we work. The Katy Trail was still very new at that point so not a lot of people knew about it. We started running nearly every day at lunch. 2 miles became 3; 3 miles became 4; we were so elated when we finally ran all the way to Knox/Henderson and back - 4 miles round trip. Eventually we were doing regular 5-6 mile runs during our lunch hour. We'd bang out a quick run, hurry back to the office to change, and eat at our desks.

Then one day, Huy mentioned how one of our buddies, Dennis Webb, had completed the White Rock Marathon. At that point, I did not even know that a marathon was 26.2 miles. I completely admired Dennis for doing it, but I had no aspirations to run that distance ever! Huy thought we should sign up for the half marathon - I thought he was nuts. But Huy was persistant, and he eventually talked me into it.

On the first Sunday in December of 2004, we ran our first half marathon. We were completely undertrained and the race was just awful, but I was absolutely hooked. I remember crossing Interstate 75 just after running through Highland Park and telling Huy that this was the coolest thing I had ever done in my life. That feeling went away somewhere around mile 11 and we limped to the finish line completely spent. We then argued about who was in the best shape to drive us back to his house where I'd left my car. I won that discussion and Huy had to drive us home. I went home and went right to bed. I have never felt so badly in my life.

In 2005, we decided to do the full marathon. Huy and I signed up for training with RunOn and we ran with them 3 times a week. We also worked in 2 other training runs each week -- we were not taking this distance lightly. We trained very hard for this race and we both completed the distance. I remember telling Huy that it was the hardest thing I have ever done. He agreed completely.

So here I am now - 3 marathons under my belt, 2 50K's, 1 50 miler and countless training runs over the marathon distance and I wonder if I am ready for the Rocky Raccoon 100. My IT Band is starting to get better. I've been taking it slow while building up my distance. I've run 3 times now pain free - the longest run has been 4 miles. I am going to do a 6 miler tomorrow and if that feels OK, I'll probably do 9 on Sunday. It's encouraging, but if the pain comes back I am sunk! But every day I get a little more excited - especially after a pain free run. I am starting to get cautiously optimistic that I may be able to do this run!

No comments: