Saturday, January 26, 2008

IT Band Recovery Training

I've come up with a plan to minimize my running while my IT Band injury heals. I am hopeful that this plan will help with my overall fitness. This is the plan for the next 3 to 5 weeks. Hopefully my injury will have healed by then and I can start my specific WS traing plan.

* Pool Running 3 x a week - 30 to 60 minutes.
* Slow runnining on the soft surface of the Katy Trail 3 x a week with a day of recovery in between. I'll run 4 miles every other day and do a longer run of 5-6 miles on Saturday mornings. Total outside running for the week will only be 14 miles. This is a far cry from the 50-60 mile weeks that led to this injury.
* Yoga 2-3 times a week. This will help with my flexibility. I am extremely tight from not stretching at all for the past 4 years. Yoga and my other daily stretching will help this.
* Strength and Core Training 3 x a week. I need to balance out some of my body diffencies. I have a strong lower body right now, but weak upper and core. I am doing many different crunches, leg lifts, planks, and weight work to fix this problem. Having a strong core will really help my running and help decrease the odds of further injury.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike...

Would you happen to have more specifics on how you are working on your legs specifically? I'd love to hear about any specific plans to stretch the IT band itself. Also is there a routine prior to and after each run that you follow?
Any useful links would be great as well. thanks, A

Bloom said...

Hi there,

can you share with me how long it took you to get fully rehabilitated and did your rehab program worked?