Saturday, October 31, 2009

24 The Hard Way

After my DNF at WS100 earlier this year, I felt a great need to get back on the horse and try again for 100 miles. However, getting into WS is a luxury that I probably won't have for several more years. It didn't start off this way, but 24 the Hard Way became a chance for me to redeem my WS race.

First things first --- the race is held in a beautiful park in Oklahoma City and is put on by Chisholm Deupree among other co-race directors. They did an amazing job. It was extremely well organized. I really can not say enough good things about this race. If you are into timed events like this, you must put this one on your calendar. The course was good (some flat, some gentle rollers), the aid was great (best food I've ever had at a race), and the volunteers were both experienced and wonderful. They even had a monitor that showed your progress during the race. Every time you crossed the timing mat, you knew exactly how fast your pace was for the previous lap and how many miles you had accumulated.

The 24 Hour Runners

I went out to the race with Matt, Jeff, and Julie (Matt's wife). Matt and Jeff ran the race. Julie crewed for us and watched over us like a good mother hen. She's nearly eight months pregnant and was out there all day crewing for us. She even walked a mile with me near the end of the race when I was in some of the worst pain I've ever felt before in my life. I'm guessing Julie did quite a few miles walking with one of us when we needed it.

Mike, Matt, and Jeff - PreRace

Matt and Julie

My goal for the race was 100 miles. I knew I'd be disappointed if I did anything less than 85 miles, but 100 miles was my primary goal. I just wasn't sure if I was in 100 mile shape.

I started the race very conservatively. I know that I'm not a fast runner, but by using a run/walk strategy I can usually stay very consistent and be able to run late in a race when many folks can not run any longer. In fact, I walked half of each loop and ran half of each loop. After a loop or two I had it dialed in to where I would run and where I would walk. The first hours passed by very quickly. It was great fun running and chatting with every one. After several hours, Matt ran next to me for awhile and told me that I had 100 miles in me --- no problem at all. I silently agreed with him, but a lot can happen in 24 hours so I didn't want to jinx it.

Matt and Jeff were both in a groove all day long and were ticking off the miles like champs. We'd chat for a bit as they lapped me. That is really one of the special things about these timed events. They are held on a relatively small course so you get to be with people all day long. You always have someone to chat with --- or if you don't feel like talking, people understand that as well. We are all on our own personal journey out there. Jeff ended up with 112 miles and came in second place --- absolutely amazing! Matt finished with 70 really fast miles, but had to drop with foot issues. He came back later in the early hours of Sunday morning and ran some additional miles while wearing his jeans. The guy always cracks me up!

Another thing I loved about this race was the freedom of not carrying a bunch of stuff with me. During trail races I feel like Batman most of the time. I have on a waist pack or a hydration pack and will have multiple gels, salt tablets, ipod, jacket, gloves, etc. It was so nice to run with my hands free of a water bottle. Anything I needed I would stop and pick it up. And if I forgot about something -- no big deal -- I'd be back at the aid station in 12 minutes. So it was worry free running! And there were no pressures of cutoffs hanging over my head stressing me out to no end. I really loved that aspect of this race.
The day progressed and I was able to hold my pace for most of it. I had some low moments, but I always snapped out of them (big thanks to Jamie for Boom Boom Pow at 2am). I had some stomach issues, but I dealt with it OK. I also had moments of extreme joy out there. All in all, it was a great experience.

So how did I finish? 106 miles --- and the only mile that I ran the entire time was the very last loop. The run/walk plan worked out perfectly and I was able to keep a consistent effort most of the time. Overall --- great experience --- would do it again in a heart beat.

After the Race

The rest of the pictures are of the course -- just in case you'd like to do this race -- which I highly recommend!

1 comment:

DavidH said...

Awesome Awesome Awesome Mike!

You are a stud on picking a strategy and sticking with it. Most inspiring.

Similar to trail running, I think the timed-events are going to grow in popularity as well. They are more fun than most would ever imagine.