Sunday, February 17, 2008

Orthotics and Cortizone

It's been a couple of weeks since my last post. And the reason for the long layoff is because I have actually been RUNNING! Not a ton, but I am actually hitting the pavement and trails for at least 4 miles at a time! I just got back from an 8 miler at White Rock and feel great! I am icing my knee just in case, but I had no major issues while on the run. It still does not feel like my other knee, but I feel like I may finally be making progress.

A little over two weeks ago, I went to a highly recommened podiatrist. He is an ultrarunner himself and is very familiar with the WS100. His thought was he needed to get me running immediately (amen, brother!) and while he fitted me for othotics he asked how I felt about getting a cortizone injection. Now if you know me, you will know that I am deathly afraid of needles. I have not had a shot for over 15 years and that last one was completely necessary.

After thinking it over for about 15 minutes (while he was working on my foot mold), I gave in and told him to go ahead and give me the cortizone. It really wasn't as bad as I imagined it, and I was able to run 2 days after getting the shot with no pain. The cortizone numbs the inflamed IT Band and helps the swelling. I am hopeful that this shot will keep me going for the months to come.

I was incredibly excited to get my orthotics. They fit into my shoes very well - though they felt kind of strange to begin with. I've been running in them now for a little over a week and am digging the results.

Maybe I have turned a corner here with this IT Band Syndrome. I sure hope so. I have a ton of miles to put in before the WS100 and not much time to do them. I have to remember to be smart about my training plan. I can't do too much too soon. The run I just completed has me feeling like I could run 50 miles tomorrow. But I know that I must take it slowly and work back up to the heavy mileage. My main goal is to get to the starting line of the WS100 healthy!

No comments: