Friday, December 28, 2007

Still Healing

It's been a few days since my last post and my IT Band is still bothering me. I am now officially worried that this is going to take some time to heal. I've been stretching on a regular basis along with icing it and taking ibuprofen. I have not run at all. I did a little work on the elliptical machine for a couple of days and that did not seem to hurt it, so I'll keep doing that.


Last night, while putting up the Christmas decorations I was going up and down the attic stairs. After about an hour of working, my IT Band starting barking at me pretty good. So this morning I made an appointment with Whole Health Partners. They work on quite a few local ultra marathoners and came highly recommended. They spent 1 1/2 hours with me working on my legs and knees. I felt pretty good coming out of the session. But as I was packing for a camping trip tonight, my IT Band started barking again. I have another session scheduled with them in 10 days.


Virginia, my Mother in Law - Nancy, and I are taking the kids to Big Bend National Park for a short vacation. I've always wanted to see this part of Texas. I am very excited about the trip, but I would be in hog heaven if I could run down there. They have some terrific trails and terrain. I guess I'll have to make another trip down there after I have healed.


I read this quote in one of my running books the other day and it is really speaking to me right now. "When you are injured, you never think you are going to get better. When you are running well, you think you are invincible." Well I felt invincible all summer/fall while I was running well. Right now I am worried that I'll never get better.


Rocky Raccoon is five weeks away. I am still hopeful about this race, but I have to come to terms with the fact that I may not be able to do it. And that is a little depressing. Hopefully this vacation will do my knee some good.

No comments: